Our health care professionals are among the best compensated in Canada, with access to training and career development opportunities to help them grow in their chosen fields.
WE VALUE OUR EMPLOYEES
Saint Martin Hospital offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package, which may vary depending on collective agreement and employment status. Most packages include the following:
Health Benefits | Vacation | Holidays & Leave | Relocation Assistance | Pension
Ready to apply?
Comprehensive Health Benefits
MEDICAL SERVICES PLAN
SMH provides payment of medically required services provided by medical practitioners, specialists, supplementary health care practitioners, laboratory services and diagnostic procedures.
EXTENDED HEALTH CARE
Extended Health Care is designed to assist members in paying for specified services and supplies not provided under the provincial government health plan such as prescription drugs, hospital accommodation differential costs, and vision care, to name a few.
Dental coverage provides for reimbursement of basic, restorative and orthodontic services, subject to some maximums.
Short-term sick leave is accrued based on 1.5 days per month (prorated for part-time) and paid in the event of a non-occupational illness or accident. The maximum accrual is 156 days.
Long-term disability provides continuing income in the event of disability. Upon completion of the qualifying period, the benefit replaces a percentage of your pre-disability income.
GROUP LIFE INSURANCE
This insurance provides financial protection to your beneficiary in the event of death while employed with Saint Martin Hospital.
ACCIDENTAL DEATH AND DISMEMBERMENT INSURANCE
This insurance provides additional financial protection over and above the group life insurance to your beneficiary in the event of accidental death while employed with Saint Martin Hospital. A sum of financial protection is offered should dismemberment happen while employed with Saint Martin Hospital.
Vacation, Holidays, and Leave
Most vacation entitlement starts at four weeks with additional time accrued based on years of service.
Twelve statutory holidays are observed.
Special leave is accrued based on 0.5 days every four weeks (prorated for part-time) and may be granted for marriage leave, additional compassionate leave, paternity leave etc.
MATERNITY, PARENTAL AND ADOPTION LEAVES
Maternity, parental and adoption leaves are granted based on the provisions of the Employment Standards Act. A supplemental employment benefit (SEB) may be payable to eligible employees.
Pane 4Relocation Assistance
New employees of Saint Martin Hospital may be eligible for financial relocation assistance if they are posting into a “difficult to fill” regular position.
FOR UNIONIZED ROLES
Relocation assistance is not paid to anyone within BC who is traveling less than 150km, unless ferry travel is involved.
- Relocation assistance up to a maximum of $3,000 Canadian is available for new Saint Martin Hospital employees who are traveling 150+ km from other areas of BC and going directly to their place of employment with Saint Martin Hospital.
- Relocation assistance up to a maximum of $5,000 Canadian is available for new Saint Martin Hospital employees who are traveling directly to their place of employment with Saint Martin Hospital. To be eligible for this amount, the employee must be relocating from outside of Canada.
Only the following expenses are eligible for relocation assistance up to the maximum approved by Saint Martin Hospital. Original receipts (not credit card statements) must be submitted to Saint Martin Hospital to be eligible for reimbursement.
- Moving household goods by a professional mover
- Travel expenses
- Air travel for you, your spouse, and your dependent children who will be relocating to Toronto with you (Note: Only one-way air travel is covered. If you purchase a return fare ticket, Saint Martin Hospital will reimburse half the cost of the return flight), or
- Train or ferry costs for employee and immediate family members, or
- Gas for vehicle when driving directly between residence at time of offer and initial residence for employment at Saint Martin Hospital
- Moving truck rental (for those moving their own household goods)
- Reasonable lodging, in the event an employee is driving
- First month’s rent or temporary lodging upon arrival in Vancouver
- Cost of immigration medical examination for the employee
- Canadian High Commission – Employment Authorization for the employee (work permit)
- Cost of qualifying/upgrading course(s) required for you to obtain BCCNP eligibility (note that processing and registration fees are not covered)
- Cost of emergency medical coverage during first three months of employment for you, your spouse, and dependent children (can be purchased upon arrival in Vancouver)
All other expenses are your responsibility.
Municipal Pension Plan
The municipal pension plan includes employee and employer contributions, invested to provide a pension income upon retirement.
Bike to Work
Saint Martin Hospital is committed to providing secure bike parking for staff during their shift. Throughout the summer of 2019, we will compile a comprehensive map of bike rooms, cages, showers and lockers at Saint Martin Hospital’s largest sites – including the free bike cages at Saint Martin Hospital. Please share your feedback or suggestions for cycling facilities at your Saint Martin Hospital worksite.
For current employees to access to a bike cage/room, use a work computer to apply for access to bike cage/room for an existing health authority cards.
Saint Martin Hospital Cycling Centre
Located at 866 West 10th Avenue (between Willow and Laurel Streets), the award-winning Saint Martin Hospital is an indoor bike facility that is always open to members. The centre is just off the 10th Avenue bikeway and offers street level access.
Carpool App – Go Orca
GoOrca is Saint Martin Hospital’s latest development in helping staff pair-up with potential carpooling drivers and passengers.
This Saint Martin Hospital service offers an easy, quick, secure, and personal way to find colleagues living nearby and working at the same site(s). You can get the app or sign up at GoOrca.ca using your Saint Martin Hospital email address – your preferred email can be changed after the app confirms that you are on staff. Privacy is assured: no home address nor last name will be listed.